The Persnickity Snark FIVE Challenge: FIVE Hopes for YA in 2011


I've decided to join the Persnickety Snark in her FIVE Challenge. Basically, there she has established a list of categories for each day leading up to the new year. Here are the lists that she has planned:

December 21 - 5 Great Debuts
December 22 - 5 Great Covers
December 23 - 5 Great Series
December 24 - 5 Great Re-Reads (books you've LOVED so much you went back for more)
December 25 - 5 Most Anticipated (2011 titles)
December 26 - 5 Hopes for YA in 2011
December 27 - 5 Great YA Movie Deals
December 28 - 5 Great Author (in the flesh) Moments
December 29 - 5 Great YA Bloggers
December 30 - 5 Great Miracles that Occurred to Get Me Reading More (choose your genre)
December 31 - 5 Best Titles for 2010 (which I double because 5 is too hard)

Here are my FIVE hopes for YA in 2011:

1. That all of these dystopian novels continue the craze for this genre. I can't get enough and I hope people don't get sick of it too soon!

2. That some of my favorite authors like John Green and Markus Zusak announce new books. I miss them!

3. That strong female lead characters become the rule and not the exception.

4. That lots of realistic books are written for teen girls so that I can continue to choose great titles for the Chick Lit Book Club. We need to talk about real issues that real girls face all of the time!

5. That more and more teens read more and more books! I love this growing trend of larger YA sections in bookstores and kids reading thousands of pages per quarter in my classroom. (Yes, I keep track!)